Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Candy Coin Wrapper Craft

It has been a busy week...but now I am off for 5 more nights...time for some serious crafting and setting up the Christmas tree. This year we are doing a Candy/Food theme for Christmas. This is a new theme for us, so that means we have a lot of crafting to do....yeah :D

I have already gotten one driveway and both sidewalks shoveled. Two loads of dishes done and a second load of laundry going. A trip to Walmart to buy ice melt ended up costing me an hour and  $70...because I was wondering around looking at everything.

So now I have reached my limit of extra craft stuff to buy for Christmas decorating. I just have to get started!

Today I would like to at least get the Christmas tree set up. It is going to be a "Cupcake"...with a cherry for the topper! We can decorate it some tomorrow, but just setting it up and fluffing it out will take some time. But the crafting bug has hit...so I am going to make just one sample craft, and hopefully the boys can help with it later tonight.

While on Pinterest, I saw a great idea on how to make candy decorations from coin wrappers. So here are my supplies:
The wrappers are $1 for 36 at Walmart.
The cellophane wrap I bought at the thrift store for $.25 each
The napkins I had left over, otherwise I bought a pack of 10 for $1 at Walmart or Dollar Tree (each napkin can be used 8-10 times.
The scissors I bought for $3, because mine keep going missing.
The double sided tape is the greatest invention EVER! I had some left over from winterizing my windows.
The ribbon (not pictured) I had laying around. But I might use fishing line or thread to tie the ends next time....ribbon is too thick for my liking.
 
So to make 36 of these, it will cost around $3 (not counting the scissors). But I bought two bags, so I can make 72 for only $4. HOWEVER, it will only cost you the cost of the wrappers if you have wrapping paper/tissue paper or any colored paper, tape and ribbon/string at home. NOT BAD!
 
Plus if you want to make bigger ones, you can use your toilet paper rolls, or the core of the wrapping paper...cut into lengths you want! Use any colored paper, and draw/paint on it. Print out sheet music and wrap it around the tubes...so many choices! And super easy. Took maybe a minute each. The longest part was tying the ribbon on the ends.

Can't wait for the boys to get home so we can make a bunch of these. I plan to use fishing line to string them together for garland around the house :D

PS. It works a lot easier if you fill the tubes up with something. I just used the plastic bag that candy comes in. Instead of throwing it away, I twisted it up and shoved it in. Walmart bags work perfectly :D

No comments:

Post a Comment