Thursday, November 20, 2014

Music Makes Me STRONGER...but Hammers Still Hurt!

Well now that the Halloween stuff is pretty much taken down and almost put away (sitting in the dining room in boxes)...and I'm not quite ready to put Christmas up yet...and because I have been homebound for the last two days (no $$$ and no gas...lol)....and Netflix isn't working...I decided to finally start my music mural on my bedroom wall.

I called my xh up at work and had him bring me a chalk line thing...so I could make straight lines for my sheet music. However, I didn't end up using it (sorry J). I had already measured all of the lines and put little nails into in so that when the chalk thing did get here, I could wrap it around and make my lines. But I quickly realized that I only had two black markers and that would not last to create the whole project. So I went through my Halloween stuff (good thing I didn't put them away) and found my black ribbon.

I was surprised how quick it was to wrap the ribbon around the little nails....and I loved the result. It gave it more of a 3D look.
Then the longest part was going line to line hammering in all of the little #$&@ nails (to make each note). Every two minutes I was tempted to throw the hammer and just give up...but I didn't...and even more surprisingly my thumb hasn't turned a pretty purple and black color...yet.

I was going to use an entire dried rose head (from this past summer) for each note...but quickly realized I only had 12 roses. Hmmm. Change of plans. I pulled a few roses apart and used the petals to stick on the nails (later, when I find my glue gun, I will glue them down). PERFECT!
Then I drew the Treble Clef and words in marker (the title is done in paint with the purple/pink/gold colors of my bedspread, that my cousin A got me for a housewarming gift). Six more roses were used as a border as well as ribbon. But, I'm pretty much done. I would like to touch up the title to make it stand out a little more, and buy some trim at Menards and finish the border properly.
I thought this project would only take me a few hours....I was wrong. It took about 6 hours because I kept changing my mind on things....and taking time out to ice my thumb. However, the easiest part was deciding what song I wanted to use. Granted I could have just put on random notes, but that wouldn't make any sense to anyone...and most likely...drive me crazy.

So I chose the song Stronger by Kelly Clarkson. When this song first came out late 2011 I had just filed for my second divorce, gone through a personal and private loss, and found out that I needed to have a hysterectomy to avoid cervical cancer. Nothing seemed to be going my way.

I was pulling out of the doctors office after pre-registering for surgery for the following day, when the song came on the radio. I pulled over and cried while listening to the song. To me, the song wasn't really about a man leaving a woman...it was about me against the world. I went home, downloaded the song (legally) and blasted it on full volume for the rest of the day. And, I will admit, I danced. I even did the whole "fake muscle" thing and it felt great.

Music has always had a huge impact in my life, but this song really pulled me out of some hard times. I have heard it at least a thousand times, and every time I dance and smile. Maybe not dancing in public, but I will move to the beat and tune everything else out. So yes, this song DESERVED to be on my wall! I have it right across from my bed, so I can see it and remember it each and every day.

The only bad thing is I have over a hundred little nails sticking out about 1/4 inch from my wall, so it likes to snag everything that goes past...lol. Oh well, it is worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment