Thursday, December 4, 2014

Cupfakes...I am in LOVE!

First off, I would like to say how much I LOVE LOVE LOVE expanding foam! I might even love it more than...my duct tape...or hot glue gun...gasp...I know....but this stuff is AWESOME!

So I figured this would be the perfect stuff to help me make some ornaments for my Candy themed Christmas plan. I had found a great site that showed how to make the "Cup-fakes"...and I knew I had to try it!
http://www.theartofdoingstuff.com/karen-answers-how-to-make-cup-cake-tree-ornaments/

WARNING***
WEAR GLOVES WHEN USING THIS FOAM! IT IS SUPER SUPER STICKY AND DOES NOT COME OFF VERY EASY! 4 days later, I still have some on my fingers!

The can of foam was about $3.50 from Walmart, however I do have a nice stash in my craft room (aka basement). Then I found some cute mini cupcake wrappers at Walmart for $1.50 (for 100). It took about 5 minutes to fill 100 mini cupcakes (only fill about 2/3 full).
Then because I still had plenty of foam left in the can, I made a bunch of odd designs on paper (should have used wax paper...note to self). I quickly pushed in the ornament hooks before the foam dried (the outside dries within 5-10 minutes...but let it sit for at least a few hours to make sure the inside is dried).
Then I decided to paint one and see how it looked!...You can see that I had overfilled the cupfakes, but I figured if they were tall I wouldn't need "frosting". I had some fake cherries lying around, and added a little puffy paint sprinkles and it looked cute. But I missed the look of the fluffy frosting.
 
So I went to the hardware store and bought some light weight white spackling (1pt was only $3.50). Some sites said to color it first, but I wanted white frosting, so I left it alone. I also didn't want to waste my good decorating bags, so I used a Ziplock bag with the tip cut off. Plus having it in in a Ziplock bag, helped keep it very soft and flexable while working with it. I waited an hour to make sure it was completely dry!
LITERALLY this was the ICING on the cake! I loved the look.
On a few I lightly brushed brown on the tips to create a "toasted" look. I was drooling...and very tempted to try it, even though I knew it wasn't edible.
 
I even made a "melted popsicle" one...by using broken toothpicks and more puffy paint.
After I played with some of the mini cupcakes, I decided to play with the odd shapes I made. I had trimmed a few down and made some rectangle...and created...an ICE CREAM SANDWICH! Probably the easiest to make. Simply painted the top and bottom...and then just a little down on each side to give the appearance of separate pieces.
 
This was BY FAR one of the most fun projects I have ever done! Expanding foam is so versatile that I have many more ideas I can do with it. Plus it is the perfect product for stuff that will HANG on a tree. The cupfakes...in all of their glory...weighed in LESS THAN A DIME! Yes, you read that right! Super lightweight and durable! LOVE IT!
 
Now off to play with some more....eeeeeeeeee!

 



No comments:

Post a Comment