Tuesday, December 2, 2014

No Sew Apron

Ok, I have needed an apron for awhile. Mostly because the few times that I do try my hand at cooking/baking, I have a bad habit of wiping my hands on my jeans or shirt...or child. But spending $20+ on an apron that I will rarely use....ehhhh....no. I'm cheap. I knew I could make a cheaper one of a kind one...so I did!

I had seen a lot of Pinterest pages of making an apron out of normal material/sheets/towels/etc...but they all included taking this mysterious thing called a "sewing machine" and putting it all together. Now I do know how to sew. I have had a few different machines over the years. I took a class in HS and actually made a dress. Granted I couldn't wear it anywhere...something about not taking into account extra material for seams...it was pretty tight....but it was enough to get me an A in the class.

Anyway, I do not have a sewing machine. Yes I love to craft, and I probably should buy one, one of these days...but I don't. I guess if I buy one then I will have to buy fabric and special needles, and all sorts of sewing stuff...and that will cut into my personal craft store downstairs....lol. But seriously....I should go buy one.

And because I don't have a sewing machine, I did not want  to sew by hand all the seams and pockets to make an apron. I have an about 5-15 minute attention span to do almost any craft...and that would take too long.

So I spent some time on Pinterest to find a NON sew apron that would be simple to make. I found this one that took an old shirt and just cut out the back. Cute I know, but I didn't want all of the buttons...and I wanted a "normal" apron look....not a shirt without sleeves.
So I turned it around and decided to cut a new "head hole". This is the BACK of the shirt. It is a 2XL Men's Long Sleeved shirt I bought for $3.50 at a thrift store. I followed the seams from the neck, down part of the arm, to the top of the main shirt (If you look at the back of a shirt, you will see the design I'm talking about). I should mention that I wasn't paying attention and ended up cutting an entire sleeve almost off...I had to spend 20 minutes HAND sewing the stupid thing back on. BUT if you do NOT cut off the arm...it is still a NO-SEW project.
Then all you have to do is put it over your head and you are pretty much DONE! What? No way...that is too easy! But seriously, after you put it on, take the arms and tie them behind you.
 
Sorry the pic is hard to see...and don't mind the white powder/smoke look on the mirror. We haven't cleaned the mirrors off from our Halloween party yet. Yes I know it is Dec 2....hopefully I will remember to do it sometime this year.
 
This is the look of the side.
I like it, because it covers my hips...right where I always seem to wipe.
 
But the project isn't done, if you want pockets. Personally, I don't like apron pockets. Why? Because I don't know what to put in them? The whisk? Flour? Measuring cups? An egg? I don't get them. BUT if you want pockets, just take the ends of the shirt and fold them to the front.
Then just add a button and stitch up the sides and you have a pocket! But then it won't be a no-sew project. And yes, I found my Paint program and had fun playing with it.
So if you can find a large long sleeved shirt (bigger is better),  and you have scissors and 5 minutes, you can make an apron. You can do the same to make a kids one too. If you have the extra time and want to...you can add ribbon, puffy paint, anything you like to make it unique.
 
Also you could probably use almost any material that is square/rectangle....pretend it is like a curtain and take some yarn/string/ribbon and push it through the seam (where the curtain rod would go)....or cut little slits in the top of the material and "weave" the ribbon through the holes. Then tie around your waist, and you have a simple apron skirt!





TA DA!

No comments:

Post a Comment