Thursday, September 18, 2014

Side of the Road Treasure- Day 16

I am always surprised at the stuff people throw away. Granted 80% of it is probably garbage, but sometimes it is perfect for someone else. Now obviously this isn't a surprise. This is why there are Freecycle, Craigslist, Ebay, and even donating it to charity. But still some people just throw it on the side of the road so it can end up in a landfill. But not today! Today I had to race and pass the garbage truck just to get to one house.

This week Green Bay residents can put big items out on the curb to be picked up. I haven't picked anything off the side of the road in a long time...mostly because I didn't have any extra space to store it...and I don't have a van anymore. But today...I couldn't pass up today!

I was dropping the boys off at their bus stop and I saw an odd looking shelf. I loved the colors and shape of it and decided to stop on my way back home. Then I noticed the garbage guys coming down the road. I had to quickly turn around and pass them just to get back to the "sweet spot". Once there I had to jam the shelf thingy into my trunk (I think it stuck out about 3 feet and was barely in the trunk at all...thankfully I was only a mile from home). Then I noticed a tall kids easel with a chalkboard on one side and a dry erase board on the other. The only thing wrong with it, was it was missing a small wooden dowel on the bottom (less than $1 at Menards). I quickly wiggled that into my back seat and smacked my head on the car door frame when the garbage guys honked at me.

I just gave a weird smile and said, "but I'm not done". They just laughed at said I had 5 seconds. I didn't know if they were kidding or not...but I grabbed a small bench seat and threw it in the front seat before I drove off.

The shelf thing is a little over 5' tall and completely connected and very sturdy. The tags on it says Alice White on it. I did some research and couldn't find a brand name with that name, because it is painted on and professionally done. Either way I plan on repainting it and using it for storage...not sure where yet.

The easel I'm going to fix up and probably give it to my xh and his wife for their kids. Maybe save it for a Christmas/birthday present. Same with the little seat. It has zoo animals on it with NO damage. SUPER cute! Either way I was super excited to find all of these treasures...and all at ONE house!
 
Then at work, I was on a VERY slow machine (142 for those that know it) for 12 hours. I had plenty of time to work on my Halloween party list. I have the list together for all of the food and some ideas for decorations.
 
I also have to change the date. Looking to do it on Saturday, November 1st now instead. I didn't realize the boys had a church thing all day on Sunday. That sucks because I had some people that I knew couldn't make it on Saturday :'(
 
It's okay. I will take lots of pictures :D
 
Tomorrow (Thursday) I have overtime again..from 3pm-11pm. So this week I will have 24 hours of overtime. Next week I think I only have 8 hours of overtime....only...lol. I just have to remember to bring some cardboard home. That's one reason I love my job...so many craft ideas! Did I mention how much I love craft time :D :D :D


1 comment: